I’ve only recently started crocheting, previously being an exclusive knitter. However, I’ve quickly discovered that it’s just as easy and fun once you understand it. “Off the Hook” follows my newbie’s journey through learning crochet, as well as little discoveries.
It’s come to the fourth round rug I’ve made thus far–the same pattern I mentioned in this post. This time, I took it a bit differently. Check it out.
This one was obviously made to look like a sun. I have a birthday party for a friend coming up, and she has a pretty sunny personality. So when I saw the yellow and orange colors on the shelf together, the idea came easily. I also cut fringe and knotted it around the outside to create “rays” of sunshine.
The pattern is from Stargazun Designs. The premise is that you take chunky yarn, a big hook (size N), and double crochet in rows, adding twelve stitches each time around. Since I don’t own any chunky yarn, and I generally don’t have time/money to get it, I doubled up on worsted weight instead. Using two different colors has created a marvelous marbling effect. (I’ve also done blue and purple, green and brown, and light pink and black.)
It’s a very simple pattern, and also extremely easy. It’s not exactly a fast one; it usually takes around 16-20 rows to be suitably big enough (this one is 16), and that can take at least 4 hours (I spanned this over a week).
I appreciate the simplicity of the pattern since it allows me to experiment. One of the other rugs I made I put a runged border on, this one I added fringe to, and so on.
Then again, it’s a bit rudimentary. Adding twelve stitches in the same place every time around makes the pattern start to visibly pizza-slice, and the “turn” from row to row makes an ugly ridge in one place. It’s not noticeable enough to detract from the overall effect of the rug, but it’s still there. The original pattern post suggests increasing twelve times randomly each row to avoid the pizza-slicing, but for the first time in four rugs, I accidentally missed a couple increases, decided it was no matter and made it up elsewhere in the rug, and it mysteriously needed aggressive blocking to make up for extra degrees (more than 360!).
At any rate, it’s an amazing pattern, and as you can tell, I like it a lot. I gave my grandparents one for Christmas last year (undersized, due to an unfortunate time crunch), and they’ve called frequently, sending thanks for it, and that they love using it (something out of character for them, apparently).
I guess this example shows my tendency to read through patterns, understand them, and modify them where I think it could be improved or changed to best fit. I always like experimentation and doing it myself. And I think the crafting world could always use a couple more experimenters.